VACANCY: HOMEWORK CLUB
What is it?
The Dixon House Homework Club is a once a week after hours program for kids in Grades 4 to Year 8. The aim is to help kids who need additional support with their school work beyond what can be provided at school or at home, and where there is little capacity to access private tutoring. More information below.
We currently still have some vacancies. If you are interested, please ENROL.
VOLUNTEER HOMEWORK CLUB TUTORS – REQUIRED FOR 2020
Additional tutors are required to support children in Years 4-8 with their homework and assignments, starting Term 1. Tutors work with one to two children from different cultural backgrounds each week, using the workbooks, computers and educational games provided. The classroom is lively with additional group activity during the session. There is scope for you to use your other talents to be a positive role model, and make the learning experience fun and rewarding for the children.
Requirements – Advanced English skills, love and patience for working with children, and teaching ability.
Responsibilities – tutor and supervise students, set up and put away resources and materials, prepare refreshments, and clean up afterwards.
Commitment - once a week on Wednesdays, 3.30pm – 6.00pm during school terms, attend training provided, with a minimum of 6 months’ commitment.
Other information – please see the position description attached.
VACANCY: ENGLISH TUTORS
PLEASE NOTE - Due to the Covid-19 lockdown, our programs have been reduced significantly and we are only operating online (via Zoom) in these programs:
If you will be applying for the above programs, please note that everything will be done online, including interviews.
STEP 1 - BEFORE APPLYING
STEP 2 - APPLYING
STEP 3 - INTERVIEW
STEP 4 - REFEREE CHECKS
STEP 5 - further checks & online induction
If the recruitment progresses:
5 Good Reasons to Volunteer
1) Impact the lives of others - someone out there needs your help. Maybe it's your skill, or knowledge, or life experience, or your understanding.
2) Build real connections in the community - forget Facebook...come to Dixon House to build real connections with friendly people of all ages and backgrounds.
3) Build your confidence - perhaps you don't know how much you can offer until you begin to do it. Come and give it a try and be surprised at what you can do.
4) Learn new skills - communication skills, organisational skills, technical skills, interpersonal skills.....
5) Get valuable work experience - perhaps you are currently studying, or have come from overseas and don't have much practical or local experience. Dixon House is a great place to gain skills to improve your future employability. You may even meet people who can guide you in this process.